Country Chatter

Morgan Wallen Releases Statement and Apology

on

Morgan Wallen released his first personal “Update from me” since the events that transpired at his home were reported on February 2. The singer shared the video on his Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages and called the statement long overdue

Video obtained by TMZ showed Wallen returning home after a night out with friends and using the “n-word” as he was in his front yard.

Since the video was released Wallen has been banned by country radio, had his videos pulled from CMT, been banned by the ACM Awards and was suspended from his record label.

Wallen broke his nearly 10-day silence by apologizing for his earlier apology. “I was made aware of the video posted to TMZ with hardly any time to think before it was released to the public. I was asked if I wanted to apologize, and of course, I did,” Wallen said. “I wrote many detailed thoughts and only a portion of those got used which painted me in an even more careless light. I here to hopefully show you that that’s not the truth.”

Wallen went on in his statement to explain the video showed him on what he called a 72-hour bender, which he admitted he was not proud of, as well.

“This week I’ve been waiting to say anything further until I got the chance to apologize to those closest to me that I knew I personally hurt. I also accepted some invitations from some amazing Black organizations, executives, and leaders to engage in some real and honest conversations.”

At first, Wallen said he felt uneasy about the invitation and really didn’t know what to expect.

“They had every right to step on my neck,” Wallen said. “But they did the exact opposite. They offered me grace and they also paired that with an offer to learn and to grow.”

“I wish the circumstances were different for me to learn these things, but I’m also glad it started the process for me to do so. I’ve got many more things to learn, but I already know that I don’t want to add to any division.”

Earlier this week Wallen was invited by the NAACP to have a conversation about the racial slur that he used. Jason Isbell also announced he would donate his cut of the profits generated from his song “Cover Me Up,” that Wallen covers on his album, to the Nashville chapter of the NAACP.

Wallen said that he’s been sober for nine days since the video surfaced and concluded by asking his fans to not defend his actions in the video.

“I appreciate those who still see something in me and have defended me, but for today please don’t,” Wallen said. “I was wrong. It’s on me to take ownership for this and I fully accept any penalties I’m facing.”

Since the TMZ video, sales for Wallen’s “Dangerous: The Double Album” surged, holding the top spot on the Top Country Albums Chart and ranked fourth on Billboard’s all-genre Top 200 albums chart.

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *